Saturday, May 21, 2016

A New Diagnosis

“So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak.”  (Genesis 32:24)

A new autism diagnosis can leave a family reeling, not knowing which way to turn.  Some may wrestle with their faith wondering how a God who loves his children could allow any child to struggle.  Jacob wrestled with God, and he walked away with a limp as a constant reminder.  The limp was not God’s punishment to Jacob for wrestling with him but part of God’s blessing.  God allowed Jacob to overcome Him, but he left Jacob with a reminder of their encounter.  God blessed Jacob stating: “Your name will no longer be Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome” (28).

I was at dinner with a fellow autism mom the other night, and she expressed to me that she is fearful of being angry at God.  I told this mom that she needed to confess her anger to God in prayer because God already knows her heart.  I told this mom that I, too, wrestled with God over my own child’s diagnosis and that I ultimately came full circle back to a stronger faith in the One who knew my pain before I even came to Him. 


Lord, give your children the confidence in your love to honestly bring their petitions to you in the name of your son, Jesus.  I pray your grace and sustaining love over any family feeling lost in the sea of a new diagnosis that they may come to a renewed strength in you by learning more of your character coming face to face with a God who has compassion on them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment